Monday, July 28, 2014

Jessica Recaps the Junior Phase

My name is Jessica Rutter, I am about half way through the Cosmetology Program here at PB. 

Becoming a student at PB Cosmetology School has been such a great experience for me. It has taught me so many things. It really helped me grow as a person in so many ways. Deciding to come to PB was one of the best choices I have made. It has been an incredible experience and has opened the door to lots of opportunity.
Enrolling in PB was a scary moment for me. I wasn't sure if I was ready to dedicate myself to 6 hours a day to just sitting in a classroom, but I learned quickly that those 6 hours are filled with so much activity that I found myself not sitting a whole lot. I'm glad I did commit to the program because I have made some really special memories.

The first day of class was so bittersweet! I was nervous and excited all in one but when I walked into Ms. Jill's class introduced herself and showed me to my seat. I remember seeing this big bag full of everything we need for school sitting on my desktop and it felt like Christmas!


One thing that made the first day easy was having such great classmates! We were a very small class, but we made everyone feel welcomed. Our class experience was unique, throughout the junior phase we acquired a few new students along the way, we loved this because it allowed our small classroom family to grow, the more the merrier! We also got to go on so many field trips! we went to Sephora, Lush, Mac, The Franklin Institute, we did yoga, went canvas painting, we spent a day at the Art Museum, and my favorite was visiting the Gift of Life House.


The Gift of Life Family House is a great program that has families stay when a loved one is waiting for an organ transplant.

It is located in Philadelphia a short 15 minute drive from the school. Ms. Jill asked our class if we wanted to go and cook dinner for the people who are staying there. We were all asked to bring one item for the meal. We made a ravioli bake, garlic bread, salad and cookies for dessert. After school on a Friday we all drove over there and cooked dinner. Once the dinner was finished cooking we had a tour of the facility and it was just beautiful! The guests sent us a thank you card saying that they loved our food! Going there was such a nice idea, reminded us all the giving back is such an important part of life.


Having Ms. Jill as a teacher was wonderful. She has taught me and my classmates a great deal of things and did in a really fun way. I am very appreciative to have had such a great teacher and classmates who have become some of my closest friends. I don't know how I would have gotten through being a junior without them. We all push each other to be amazing and do great things. I can't wait to see what being a senior has in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment